May 13, 14 & 15, 2016 in New york city
About the Show
This year we are introducing the New & Innovative Apparatus Category! Each night, 2 finalists from this category will showcase their new & innovative apparatus. The winner will be announced on May 15, 2016, the last day of competition.
- May 13, 2016: Female Lyra, Male Silks, New & Innovative Apparatus
- May 14, 2016: Female Pole, Male Pole, New & Innovative Apparatus
- May 15, 2016: Female Silks, Male Lyra, New & Innovative Apparatus
- 220 audience members each night
- Free Live Stream at UPA.TV to watch from anywhere in the world
- Tickets go on sale March 1, 2016
- Meet & Greet for all finalists after the first show on May 13, 2016. All finalists are welcome to attend.
Rose Nagelberg Theater
The Championships are held in the Rose Nagelberg Theater at Baruch Performing Arts Center. Watch the video below to virtually tour this fantastic space!
Live performances will be judged by the as follows:
- Difficulty (20%): Unique, innovative, or difficult transitions, moves, tricks, skills, and sequencing both on and off the apparatus.
- Execution (20%): Performing with technicality, flexibility and strength, both on and off the apparatus.
- Movement Artistry (20%): High versatility of movement that exhibits grace, fluidity, and ease (in keeping with the theme/style of the piece) both on and off the apparatus.
- Performance Artistry (20%): Musicality, expression, storytelling ability, and audience engagement both on and off the apparatus.
- Enjoyment-factor (20%): “I liked it!” “I would buy a ticket to a show to see this applicant perform live.”
Tip: Difficulty & Execution are the elements that make a perfect photograph. Movement Artistry & Performance Artistry are the elements that make a perfect video.
- The decision of the judges are final.
- In the event of a tie, movement artistry and performance artistry are combined and weighed against difficulty and execution marks. The performer with higher performance & movement artistry marks will receive the higher placement.
- Judges will not converse with each other.
- Competitors may not communicate with the judges at any time the day of the competition, until the competition is over.
The top male and female aerialists win a $1000 grant to further their aerial careers.
Entry into Pole Paradise Studio Aerial Performance Tournament in Hong Kong, 2016
2016 Grant Sponsors
2016 Female Lyra Champion is sponsored by Aerial Arts Santa Cruz